7 Reasons Why I Quit Reading Your Plog

Hey readers, I quit writing for awhile, not because I don't like to write, but because I had nothing relevant to say.  I decided it would be best to take some time off rather than write a plog for the sake of a plog. 

1. You quit pencil-logging and have replaced it with recommendations for information sites I should visit.  If I want a list of where to find information, I'll talk to a librarian (or anyone else well-acquainted with the Dewey Decimal System) or I'll visit a museum.
2. You sold the plog to the highest bidder.  In other words, you've replaced your voice with the voice of a corporate marketer trying to sell something. Look, I'm sure Edison makes some badass film strips, but there's more to the teaching than technology.  
3. You have found one specific trick and play it on repeat.  Maybe it's one particular strategy or one specific issue and you keep going back to it on a daily or weekly basis.  Look, I know we have a niche.  That's fine.  I know I probably write about pencils too often.  My buddy John writes about his kids too often. However, I can only take so much repetition. 
4. You're using it only to promote an item. Your blog becomes a showcase of what book you're writing and what you're going to say at the PIE (Pencil Integrated Education) Conference.  I'll pay for your content if it's good.  However, you need to write some original things every once in awhile.  Which leads me to . . . 
5. You got stingy with content and you forgot why your readers began reading your plog in the first place.  Maybe you ran out of ideas.  Maybe you got too busy.  But you forgot that I didn't fall in love with your voice.  I fell in love with your ideas, your stories, your sharp prose and your humorous language.  
6. You started getting mean toward students or staff and used your plog as a means of attacking people rather than ideas.  I've done this before with a lady named Gertrude.  She read my plog and cried.  I realized the pain that my venting had caused. 
7. You forgot that plogs were supposed to be interactive.  You never commented back.  You never asked thought-provoking questions.  I read the paper.  What I hope for in a plog is a chance for a dialogue. 

Note: I have only abandoned a small handful of plogs that fit this criteria.  Truth is that I'll follow you if you're honest, if you're thought-provoking and if you have something to say - which happens to be most teacher plogs I read. 

9 comments:

  1. I particularly agree with repetative observation. I'm often drawn to a blog because of a singular idea. Once I've got the basic message I need an intellectual progression, dialectical discussion, perhaps some authentic connections to the lived experience of the idea; numerous narratives if there is a rich diversity to the expression of the idea. If not, then its time to move on. I enjoyed the irony of "Pencil Intigration" it was multifacited but I appreciate why you did not habitually post simply to sustain it. My blog has been quiet too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder that Blogs are about a conversation with readers. I started a blog a few months ago and after a couple of posts ran out of time/ideas to sustain it. I fell into the trap that you have to be active in order to sustain your audience. But that doesn't seem to serve the purpose of facilitating conversation, rather the more self-serving purpose of gaining a profile and online notoriety.
    I like your goal of teaching/writing/living authentically and i guess good blogs do that well.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!!
    Thank You for sharing this awesome Information with us. I really appreciate your work. It will be very helpful for us if you have a second then i would really like to give some information about

    We are the leading Yahoo Phone Support , Email support, reset sbcglobal mail password services provider in USA. We solve all kind of your Yahoo account issue. For any help Reach us at our helpline number and solve your issues now.
    We offer these services
    yahoo support phone number

    how do i change my sbcglobal net password

    ReplyDelete
  4. Satta Matka are both some form of gambling and a lottery system. It was initially launched by the originator of Kalyan Matka, Mr. Ratan Khatri, . Check live result on Satta king best. sattaking most Results show like gali results ,desawar Results Satta live results ,faridabad results, ghaziabad Results etc.

    SattaKing

    Satta live results

    faridabad results

    desawar Results

    gali results

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have any problems like how to solve bellsouth email setting, bellsouth.net email support, bellsouth customer support, Bellsouth server setting,and etc. so do not worry if you solve any problem so contact yahoo customer phone number. We are here to help you.
    yahoo customer phone number
    Bellsouth email setting
    Bellsouth customer support
    yahoo customer phone number

    ReplyDelete
  6. These days there are many problems how to solve bellsouth.net email setting so do not warry we are here to help you. If you are any other problem like bellsouth email setting, bellsouth.net email support,yahoo email password, etc our team solve your problem so you can call us now.
    yahoo customer phone number
    Bellsouth email setting
    Bellsouth customer support
    yahoo customer phone number

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why link building is important for your website: Link Building is most important part of website for ranking. Spera software solution is best company Link building service provider. You need a service so you can call now us.Pay-Per Click management

    MORE SERVICE

    Pay-Per Click management
    .On Page Optimization
    .On Page Optimization

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of the best articles I'm reading right now. Great job and really informative and help me in
    wordpress
    blogspot
    youtube
    កីឡាបាល់ទាត់

    ReplyDelete